SPECIAL MUSIC FEATURE - courtesy of DJ Drake Pineda (http://djdrakepineda.tumblr.com/)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

MBLAQ romances with latin flavor with their new album, "Mona Lisa"...

The boys of MBLAQ (L to R): Cheondoong / Thunder, Joon, G.O., Seungho,  and Mir

MBLAQ's been receiving a lot of attention right now because of the success that they've been receiving in Japan (who hasn't been to Japan in the Kpop world these days, right? hehehe!). After an immensely successful debut in Japan, plus a sold out concert, they're at the top of their game.

And what do people at the top do? Apparently, they don't stop! I mentioned in an earlier blog post for G.O.'s solo debut single, "Even In My Dreams" (if you haven't read my review for G.O.'s single, click here), that MBLAQ's been preparing for their comeback. Teaser after teaser was released to build anticipation for the return of the boys to Seoul. That anticipation ended today with the release of their new mini-album, "Mona Lisa".




J.Tune Camp released MBLAQ's 3rd mini-album titled "Mona Lisa", together with the MV of the launching track with the same title. MBLAQ shifts gears a little bit, and tries to put on some latin flair to spice up their brand of dance electro-pop.

I've personally been looking forward to this comeback since I heard the teaser. I like seeing artists mixing latin and acoustic Spanish guitar with any form of music... ot usually ends up beautifully. Which was the case for MBLAQ's launching single, "Mona Lisa". The latin acoustic jazz and the use of the accordion for instrumentals added a lot of character and spice to the boys usual attack on electro-pop dance. It was a risk trying to veer away from the usual, but it paid off since they ended up with a great vocal performance (harmonization was top notch), and wonderful visuals to boot!

On a personal note, I found two things pleasantly surprising --- First, Cheondoong (Thunder, or Sandara Park's brother... or whatever you want to call him)... IS HE GETTING SEXIER OR WHAT?!?!? He was smoldering hot in this video! Couldn't take my eyes off of him! He's catching up big time with his hyungs... hehehe! Second thing, Joonie didn't take off his shirt! (Hahaha!) But then again, I like him better this way.

"Mona Lisa" by MBLAQ (MV with English Subs)


The next track in the album, "I Don't Know", is a playful electro-pop track. I like the way the track was sound engineered... loved the background synthesized sounds that established the beat and rhythm of the song. As opposed to "Mona Lisa", this song didn't depend a lot on harmonization, but it showcased the individual vocal talents of the members of MBLAQ.

"I Don't Know" by MBLAQ (Audio with English Subs)


"I Think You Know", the next track in the album, slows things down a bit with a mid-tempo track. This feels more like familiar territory for MBLAQ, since it's their usual style for pop ballads, taking advantage of their varied vocal range and their great harmonization.

"I Think You Know" by MBLAQ (Audio with English Subs)


"One", the 4th track in the album, seems more like a European dance track more than a Kpop dance track --- for some reason it reminds me of Euro-pop because of the synth-keyboard instrumentals in the background, and the way the chorus was sung. The more I listen to it, it becomes more addictive!

"One" by MBLAQ (Audio with English Subs)


I was beginning to get worried that I wasn't hearing any ballads from the boys this time around; but all I had to do was to wait for the last track, "I Shouldn't Say It". I can't imagine MBLAQ not singing a ballad in any of their albums... it's one of their strengths. With this ballad, they bring the latin flavor up with great acoustic and percussion background instrumentation.

"I Shouldn't Say It" by MBLAQ (Audio with English Subs)


Wow... this is the first time I've actually featured a FULL ALBUM in a blog post! I really must've been that excited to hear MBLAQ again!


Altogether, this mini-album was put together so well. Great production values and excellent choices in musical arrangement made sure to highlight the vocal talents of the boys. I'm definitely looking forward to a follow-up album (or maybe singles) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment